The Quality Inspector is responsible for inspecting semi-finished and finished cable assembly products for acceptable quality (form, fit, and function) prior to customer shipment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
As the Quality Control Inspector, this individual must:
- Visually inspect manufactured parts for labeling, dimensional consistency, workmanship, and finish.
- Perform various electrical quality tests for products such as continuity test, load test, Hi-Pot test, etc.
- Perform First Piece Inspections to ensure products conform to all build requirements prior to the start of the build.
- Perform In-Process Inspections to verify product conformance and workmanship prior to closing the product.
- Adhere to all inspection plans, inspection sheets, and test procedures specified by the Quality and/or Engineering department.
- Record and keep record of all inspection reports, adhering ISO-9001, and AS-9100 standards.
- Review non-conforming products and resolve them immediately with help of quality and/or engineering departments.
- Review BOM to check the correct parts are used per product specifications.
- Test the tester (machine) as per requirement.
- Calibrate different testers as per requirements.
- Log and review errors (NCRs) over the period of time to identify root causes of problems pertaining to manufacturing defects, faulty internal assembly processes, vendors quality issues, or material issues.
- Communicate with Production Supervisor/Manager, Engineers, and Quality Manager in instances of systemic or habitual non-conformances.
- Mentor and train assembly workers to correct and prevent errors from occurring.
- Coordinate inspection schedules to production schedules to ensure product will ship on time.
- Communicate and address issues with area supervisors and other departments as needed.
- Promote, implement and enforce safe work practices.
- Use good judgment in performing tasks correctly the first time through with minimal escapes.
- Assist with containment of non-conforming product.
- Perform Manufacturing Process Audits (i.e. Roving Audits) to ensure adherence to manufacturing processes and requirements.
- Provide input to help improve the performance of the department.
- Function as a team member within department work groups and with other internal departments.
- Ensure quality products are delivered every time to our customer. This is measured by the Defect-Free Rate (corporate goal ≥98%)
- Perform other duties as required.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Timely inspections of product to ensure specified ship dates are adhered to.
- Defect-Free Rate (DFR corporate goal ≥ 98%)
- On Time Fill Rate (OTFR corporate goal of ≥ 95%)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required but do not constitute the complete list of everything that may help one be successful in this role.
- High School or GED required
- Electrical Knowledge Preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a manufacturing environment with a focus on problem resolution.
- Basic math skills and computer skills (to enter data / inspection status in system)
- Computer literacy including Microsoft Office Suite – Required. Enterprise / Material Resource Software (Made 2 Manage) a plus.
- Ability to work in metric and standard units of measure.
- Ability to read and follow blueprint/drawing/electric wire diagram & specifications
- Ability to manage his/her time and staying on top of production schedules
- Ability to effectively and respectfully communicate issues to production AND effectively communicate job status to other departments within the organization (i.e. Sales Support, Engineering, etc.)
- Ability to motivate the workers towards their work which can improve the production of products
- Ability to stand/walk for a long time in a day as he/she needs to go around different departments each and every time
- Knowledge of maintaining records about the production details and products
- Must be able to proficiently utilize inspection tools, gages and other diagnostic equipment.
- Must pay attention to detail
- Ability to clearly dissect and determine root cause problems and clearly recommend resolution of issues.
- Ability to manage his/her time in an effective manner.
- Ability to work independently and self-directed with limited day to day supervision, while staying on track to meet the daily and weekly goals.
- Ability to work longer hours and overtime as needed.
- A team player.
- Candidate must be able to lift up to 50 pounds unassisted.
- Ability to work in a standing position for extended periods of time.
- Comfortable and able to adapt to changes in the work environment and tasks.
certifications, licenses, registrations
- Fork lift certification preferred.
work environment/environment conditions
- Standing/Walking for 7 hours or more per day.
- Consistent lifting throughout duration of the work day for cables assemblies up to 50lbs.
- Safety Shoes and Safety Glasses are required in the work area.