Formulate cosmetic and OTC drug personal care products, as requested with a low level of supervision and direction of the direct supervisor. Demonstrate in-depth knowledge and a strong understanding of the chemistry of formulations, ingredients and industry regulations and requirements. Engage in research activities to develop innovative technology and application in products. Work with others R&D groups, marketing, field staff, suppliers and outside research labs. Prepare and deliver presentations to internal groups, marketing and the R&D team. Keep abreast of new raw materials, formulation techniques and testing methodologies and act as a mentor for other group members.
- Formulate cosmetic and OTC drug personal care with low level of supervision and direction of the supervisor.
- Conduct independent research for patentable technology applications and apply for patents.
- Must engage in utilizing external research organizations for developing new technology and should transfer technology to the R&D department via presentations and/or reports.
- Understand, utilize and document within laboratory notebook and R&D software every batch made with details of reason for the batch, batching notes, batch specification results and other test results as applicable.
- Provide recommendations, understand, follow and adhere to details for each project, project cost objectives and timelines developed by supervisor.
- Follow requirements of the new product development process and follow through with action plans.
- Conduct stability as required by the supervisor, i.e., track stability, update results charts and summarize data for review at each test period.
- Design and develop, as well as conduct efficacy testing, as required for projects and requested by supervisor:
o Co-ordinate salon testing.
o Design & conduct laboratory efficacy, field and claims tests and write reports detailing experiments and analysis and summary of results.
- Co-ordinate microbiological and safety testing.
- Communicate formulation stability and efficacy results and issues promptly and thoroughly as well as make recommendations for change/improvements when stability or efficacy testing fails.
- Interact with raw material vendors and other industry representatives to further expand on the understanding of their products, technologies and services. Utilize professional relationships to further expand and bring appropriate technologies in house.
- Participate in pilot and first production batches and write detailed descriptions of batching procedures to ensure batch reproducibility.
- Handle formulation and manufacturing issues for new and existing personal care products.
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic industry regulations related to on-going projects and engage in acquiring more knowledge regarding regulations affecting product development in international markets.
- Investigate properties of raw material used in formulations and demonstrate progressive understanding of using these chemicals in choosing chemicals during product development via documentation in product developmental rationale.
- Interact with departments and colleagues within and outside of R&D, including, but not limited to, Marketing, Manufacturing, QA and Salon Services.
- Seek out and read industry literature as it relates to new assignments and technologies.
- Conduct patent searches on project related technologies, summarize and review search results with supervisor.
- Assist in the maintenance of laboratory raw materials, glassware, supplies and waste removal.
- Actively participate in the development of new and innovative products or technologies with the guidance of Group Leader and interdepartmental colleagues. Provide guidance to junior level Chemists.
- Communicate effectively and routinely with supervisor and, as needed, colleagues on all projects.
- Handle other duties and projects as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemistry, Biology, Engineering or related field with 8+ years of relevant formulation experience, Master's degree with 6+ years of relevant industry.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- Must have the ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Good problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to travel 10% of time.
- Working in the lab requires good physical ability. The worker will be reaching, moving throughout the lab, weighing materials, carrying raw materials, product and lab equipment. Must possess physical ability to fulfill job requirement.
- Workers are often expected to travel to manufacturing facility in Geneva, NY. The worker must possess physical ability to spend time on production floor.
- Worker must be able to communicate ideas and instructions with clarity.
- Worker must have adequate hearing, olfactory and visual ability in order to develop and evaluate personal care products.
- Must be able to lift and move objects up to 40 lbs. as required by laboratory waste disposal practices.
- Must be able to remain standing for sustained periods of time while working at the lab bench.
- Work is performed in a laboratory and office setting.
- Worker is not exposed to adverse environmental conditions. The worker will be working with chemicals and expected to wear safety glasses and appropriate personal protective equipment (lab coat, gloves, etc.) and use exhaust hood when needed. The worker is expected to have good lab practices and high regard for safety.
- Worker must periodically review the materials Hazardous Book of Guidelines.
- 1st shift, direct hire with benefits
- Salary range: $75 - 95K (depending on experience)
Lighthouse Professional Services offers competitive pay and a full benefits package including health insurance, 401K, weekly direct deposit and more! We work with Fortune 500 clients all over the East Coast offering staffing services for full-time and contract assignments.
Monroe Staffing Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on their race, color, Religion, gender, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or other protected classification.